Replacement card for my mums laptop
Dan
2024-03-03 11:43:47 UTC
Will this work for my mums Dell L502X laptop:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MPE-AXE3000H-AX210HMW-5374Mbps-Bluetooth-802-11ax/dp/B0BZYSRJS6

Will standard Intel drivers work?
Andy Burns
2024-03-03 13:05:05 UTC
Post by Dan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MPE-AXE3000H-AX210HMW-5374Mbps-Bluetooth-802-11ax/dp/B0BZYSRJS6
Will standard Intel drivers work?
I don't think Dell play the nasty trick that Lenovo used to, of
requiring a 'blessed' Mini PCIe card, so I'd say chances are good.
Jeff Gaines
2024-03-03 13:53:40 UTC
Post by Dan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MPE-AXE3000H-AX210HMW-5374Mbps-Bluetooth-802-11ax/dp/B0BZYSRJS6
Will standard Intel drivers work?
I don't think Dell play the nasty trick that Lenovo used to, of requiring
a 'blessed' Mini PCIe card, so I'd say chances are good.
Bless you my son :-)

I fell into that trap with a Lenovo PC, PITA.
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The only thing necessary for evil to prevail is for good people to do or
say nothing. (Edmund Burke)
Paul
2024-03-03 17:02:05 UTC
Post by Dan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MPE-AXE3000H-AX210HMW-5374Mbps-Bluetooth-802-11ax/dp/B0BZYSRJS6
Will standard Intel drivers work?
I don't think Dell play the nasty trick that Lenovo used to, of requiring a 'blessed' Mini PCIe card, so I'd say chances are good.
That might have been the whitelisting of "Centrino" laptops.

Maybe three different Intel Wifi modules would work.
A Broadcom would not chip-select if put in its place,
which means the Centrino BIOS had been armed (by someone) to
prevent it from being chip selected.

Some forms of BIOS switches are not absolute. If you turn
off a SATA port in the BIOS, Linux can turn it back on :-)
Which is annoying, but what can you do.

The Wifi 6E is tri-band, the antennas in the laptop
might be dual band. I don't know what this means
particularly -- in some countries the 6GHz band is
"perfectly useless", so it's not like you're necessarily
losing anything. 6GHz is only available "if the band
is quiet".

Intel makes two kinds of modules, and generally the
CNVi are "the wrong ones". CNVi is apparently like a
winmodem, in that parts of it are missing and located
in the chipset. This is a very bad idea, for modular hardware.
The OP has selected the non-CNVi one and as far as I know,
that's the correct one. The Intel Wifi 6 I have in two
desktops here, those are the non-CNVi ones and suitable
for PCIe slots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNVi

If you have a local computer store with a returns policy,
there are enough of those Intel ones around, they should
be a stock item. If it did not work for some reason,
the store may have a money-back policy or similar.

There's only two of those in town here, so if I needed
one bad enough today, I could get it.

The BT 5, the Microsoft stack doesn't really expose
anything new. The IoT transmission modes won't be there.
If you want the newest audio profile, the product box had
better have a CD with a third party BT stack in it.
There is something newer than aptX.

Paul
Andy Burns
2024-03-03 17:19:00 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Dan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MPE-AXE3000H-AX210HMW-5374Mbps-Bluetooth-802-11ax/dp/B0BZYSRJS6
The Wifi 6E is tri-band, the antennas in the laptop
might be dual band. I don't know what this means
particularly
I haven't got 6GHz WiFi here, I suspect Dan's mum isn't likely to have
it either ...
VanguardLH
2024-03-03 19:54:43 UTC
Post by Dan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MPE-AXE3000H-AX210HMW-5374Mbps-Bluetooth-802-11ax/dp/B0BZYSRJS6
The Wifi 6E is tri-band, the antennas in the laptop might be dual
band.
The Dell L502X was introduced back in 2011. Wi-Fi 6E (and now 7)
weren't even wet dreams back then.
Jeff Gaines
2024-03-03 13:52:32 UTC
Post by Dan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MPE-AXE3000H-AX210HMW-5374Mbps-Bluetooth-802-11ax/dp/B0BZYSRJS6
Will standard Intel drivers work?
I use one of these on my laptop:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GM1MV6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked extremely well and is a lot cheaper but doe take a USB socket.
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks
VanguardLH
2024-03-03 20:27:00 UTC
Post by Jeff Gaines
Post by Dan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MPE-AXE3000H-AX210HMW-5374Mbps-Bluetooth-802-11ax/dp/B0BZYSRJS6
Will standard Intel drivers work?
I didn't find a manufacturer site for this product, so no more details
than what the Amazon states. Probably will work with the Intel drivers,
but do the ones already installed support Wi-Fi 6E (and 7)?
Post by Jeff Gaines
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GM1MV6B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It worked extremely well and is a lot cheaper but doe take a USB socket.
We don't know if the OP wants to upgrade his wi-fi or Bluetooth
capabilities (it's a combo card), or if something is physically broken
requiring replacement.

We also don't to what the OP intends to connect for a wi-fi access point
or wi-fi capable router that support Wi-Fi 6 GHz. He will have to
replace more than just the wifi/BT card in his laptop to use 2.4, 5, and
6 GHz wi-fi bands. That might work at his mum's home if the APs (access
points) or router support 6E (and 7, as noted below), but it's a laptop,
so where is she going to find 6 GHz wi-fi hotspots when out? Most
likely she'll be using 2.4 or 5 when away from home, and at home, too,
until her APs or router/modem get replaced. Is she playing online video
games, or just doing e-mail, web surfing, and other low-level stuff?
It's like buying a Bugatti Chiron Supersport 300+ (300 MPH), but no
access to the AutoBahn (which is unlimited speed in a few de-restricted
runs): great potential, nowhere to play.

Paul mentions the antennae in the laptop may only be tuned for 2.4 and 5
GHz bands. 6E and 7 were introduced MANY years after the OP's laptop
got released. Someone far more trained in antenna theory can answer if
antennae for 2.4 and 5 Ghz will work sufficient well for 6 and 7 GHz.

I've seen maps of wi-fi hotspots, but I don't remember seeing any that
told you the bands available at each hotspot, like 2.4, 5, 6 GHz, for
one only, for the first two, or for all 3. However, where I am is not
dictated by where are wi-fi hotspots, so I haven't bothered to check for
quite a while what wi-fi maps will present for details. Also, after
getting a large smartphone (which I'm not dismantling to unsolder old
components to replace with faster new ones), I don't bother toting
around my laptop or netbook anymore.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/23/21231623/6ghz-wifi-6e-explained-speed-availability-fcc-approval

There's even Wi-Fi 7:

https://www.wired.com/story/what-is-wi-fi-7/
VanguardLH
2024-03-03 19:48:55 UTC
"Currently unavailable".
Andy Burns
2024-03-03 19:50:59 UTC
I stock in Amazon UK, which (judging by the xpost) is relevant ...
VanguardLH
2024-03-03 20:21:08 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by VanguardLH
Post by Dan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MPE-AXE3000H-AX210HMW-5374Mbps-Bluetooth-802-11ax/dp/B0BZYSRJS6
"Currently unavailable".
I stock in Amazon UK, which (judging by the xpost) is relevant ...
Amazon UK (using the OP's URL that points to amazon.co.uk) says
"Currently unavailable" when I (in the USA) visit the Amazon UK page.
Do you see something different from wherever you begin your route to
retrieve their web page?
Andy Burns
2024-03-03 20:27:28 UTC
Post by VanguardLH
Amazon UK (using the OP's URL that points to amazon.co.uk) says
"Currently unavailable" when I (in the USA) visit the Amazon UK page.
Do you see something different from wherever you begin your route to
retrieve their web page?
Yes, I see

FREE delivery 9 - 16 March. Details
Deliver to Andy - Leicester
In stock
Andy Burns
2024-03-03 20:31:02 UTC
Seems to be fulfilled from China.
VanguardLH
2024-03-04 03:31:58 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Andy Burns
FREE delivery 9 - 16 March. Details
Deliver to Andy - Leicester
In stock
Seems to be fulfilled from China.
At eBay, I can see the shipping location. Not at Amazon. Where did you
see shipping was from China (which could be 45 days to get through
customs and then actual ship)? Logged into Amazon, but still no
shipping info. I was going to try to "add to cart" to see if I then got
shipping info. Nope. With "Currently not available", I can't see where
is the seller.

Some Chinese sellers operate regional warehouses, or use shared
warehouse facilities (e.g., City of Industry, CA USA). They stock their
regional warehouse, so shipping is from there. Customs has already been
passed. From those shipping from Asia, yeah, wait a long time for
delivery due to the long customs delay.

With eBay, I can select "Item location: USA only" filter. Presumably
this is selectable on the region for eBay (the TLD in their domain). No
such filter with Amazon. At eBay, I can select the "Free shipping"
filter. Not at Amazon. No, I'm not paying for Amazon Prime to get free
shipping on the very few items I order there per year.

With eBay, I get their Buyer Protection coverage, and I have used it a
few times. I haven't ordered enough from Amazon to remember if they
have something similar (for non-Prime purchases).
Theo
2024-03-04 12:57:27 UTC
Post by VanguardLH
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Andy Burns
FREE delivery 9 - 16 March. Details
Deliver to Andy - Leicester
In stock
Often if Amazon knows your address it won't show you items that can't be
shipped to you. If I go on Amazon.com when logged in with a UK account many
of the items appear out of stock, but if I change my zip code to a US
address then they come back.
Post by VanguardLH
Post by Andy Burns
Seems to be fulfilled from China.
At eBay, I can see the shipping location. Not at Amazon. Where did you
see shipping was from China (which could be 45 days to get through
customs and then actual ship)? Logged into Amazon, but still no
shipping info. I was going to try to "add to cart" to see if I then got
shipping info. Nope. With "Currently not available", I can't see where
is the seller.
Looking at the seller information:

Business Name: Shenzhen Tedai Technology Co., Ltd.
Business Type: Privately-owned business
Trade Register Number: 91440300MA5G6DE32Y
Business Address:
莲花街道康欣社区北环大道7039号民华大厦705
深圳市
福田区
广东省
518000
CN
Post by VanguardLH
Some Chinese sellers operate regional warehouses, or use shared
warehouse facilities (e.g., City of Industry, CA USA). They stock their
regional warehouse, so shipping is from there. Customs has already been
passed. From those shipping from Asia, yeah, wait a long time for
delivery due to the long customs delay.
Standard UK Royal Mail delivery is 1-2 days (theoretically). Cheap couriers
can be more like 3-5 days. To take 12 days suggests it's coming from
abroad. EU is of the order of a week. Given the seller is in China and the
two-week delivery time it suggests that's where it's coming from.
Post by VanguardLH
With eBay, I can select "Item location: USA only" filter. Presumably
this is selectable on the region for eBay (the TLD in their domain). No
such filter with Amazon. At eBay, I can select the "Free shipping"
filter. Not at Amazon. No, I'm not paying for Amazon Prime to get free
shipping on the very few items I order there per year.
If you have Prime it's worth using that button to filter Chinese shipping.
Third party sellers can sell via Prime from their own stocks if they ship
for arrival next day.

If you don't have Prime there's a 'Free UK Delivery by Amazon' button which
also filters them.

Both obscure some third party sellers, but often those aren't worth
bothering with (eg high postage for a small item).
Post by VanguardLH
With eBay, I get their Buyer Protection coverage, and I have used it a
few times. I haven't ordered enough from Amazon to remember if they
have something similar (for non-Prime purchases).
If the seller doesn't produce the goods you can report it to Amazon. You
often make it hard to find the live chat option (it's a hall of mirrors of
'helpful' links when you go to report something) but once you have them
(based in the Philippines or somewhere like that) on live chat they will
often refund with no hassles.

Theo
...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
2024-03-03 21:07:00 UTC
Post by Dan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MPE-AXE3000H-AX210HMW-5374Mbps-Bluetooth-802-11ax/dp/B0BZYSRJS6
Will standard Intel drivers work?
If the router is not 6G capable, then it might be consider
over-buying(paying) for features that will go unused, but afaics, likely
to work on mum's device if using Win10's latest version/build.
- Mum's Dell L502X laptop was first released in 2011. Hopefully, she's
using Win10 21H2 or latest version 22H2 *and not* Win7.

Accessing that UK link from this location shows the product as being
'Unavailable'
Amazon US shows the comparable different brand wifi card as $30 U.S.
...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
Dan
2024-03-04 06:40:27 UTC
Post by ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
Post by Dan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MPE-AXE3000H-AX210HMW-5374Mbps-Bluetooth-802-11ax/dp/B0BZYSRJS6
Will standard Intel drivers work?
If the router is not 6G capable, then it might be consider
over-buying(paying) for features that will go unused, but afaics, likely
to work on mum's device if using Win10's latest version/build.
- Mum's Dell L502X laptop was first released in 2011. Hopefully, she's
using Win10 21H2 or latest version 22H2 *and not* Win7.
Accessing that UK link from this location shows the product as being
'Unavailable'
Amazon US shows the comparable different brand wifi card as $30 U.S.
I use a Asus RTAX 88U pro on a community fibre 1 gig down / up.
6Ghz will not be used. But the laptop has a n spec and this card an ac
spec.
So, the original post I made the product is no longer available. So
Can I use another
pci-e ac spec module?
Andy Burns
2024-03-04 07:52:13 UTC
Post by Dan
So, the original post I made the product is no longer available.
Odd, still shows in stock to me in the UK ...

"In stock Quantity:1
Add to Basket
Buy Now
Dispatches from Teday Global Store"
...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
2024-03-04 17:21:50 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Dan
So, the original post I made the product is no longer available.
Odd, still shows in stock to me in the UK ...
"In stock Quantity:1
Add to Basket
Buy Now
Dispatches from Teday Global Store"
Yes, my comment was 'from this location' - implied U.S.
- the UK leak shows 'not available.'
...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
Dan
2024-03-04 19:32:10 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Dan
So, the original post I made the product is no longer available.
Odd, still shows in stock to me in the UK ...
"In stock Quantity:1
Add to Basket
Buy Now
Dispatches from Teday Global Store"
Looks that way. So will it fit in my mum laptop?
Can I use Intel drivers for it?
VanguardLH
2024-03-04 23:32:53 UTC
Post by Dan
So will it fit in my mum laptop?
Can I use Intel drivers for it?
From hunting around online, looks like the maker is Fenvi. See:

https://www.fenvi.com/about.html

Says they cooperate with Intel. Did a search on their site to find:

https://www.fenvi.com/drive.html?keyword=MPE-AXE3000H

Shows 2 product with the same product ID. When I click on either, a
download appears for Win10/11 drivers. 2 drivers are in the .zip file:
wi-fi and bluetooth.

I'd probably first see if the new card works with the existing drivers
already installed, or embedded in Windows (select the card in Device
Manager, and see what drivers are listed for it, or if it has a yellow
exclamation mark). If the current or embedded drivers don't work, then
I'd try their downloaded drivers.

I can't address fitment. Their product page at:

https://www.fenvi.com/product_detail_41.html

gives hardly any actual details, just a bunch of marketing content. You
might ask the Amazon seller to give you some dimensions, like width, and
length from card side to top side. From the pic at the mfr site, looks
like there is a metal shield attached. Might be for shielding, but
looks like it is pressed into the mounting holes. Take the back plate
off your laptop, and look what yours looks like, then ask the Amazon
seller if a shield plate is attached to the card.

Several respondents ponder why you want to upgrade ancient hardware with
a new card that probably won't give you the speed boost you want.
...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
2024-03-05 05:39:46 UTC
Post by Dan
I use a Asus RTAX 88U pro on a community fibre 1 gig down / up.
6Ghz will not be used. But the laptop has a n spec and this card an ac
spec.
Once connected, Windows 10 will attempt to install its included drivers
or download them(in the background) or provide the option to use Windows
Update to check for drivers.
- in almost all cases, the first will occur.

Then, if not functional, you can look for drivers on the manufacturing site.

i.e. based on the product information, their is little reason to believe
the device would not work.
...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
Dan
2024-03-05 06:15:05 UTC
Post by ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
Post by Dan
I use a Asus RTAX 88U pro on a community fibre 1 gig down / up.
6Ghz will not be used. But the laptop has a n spec and this card an ac
spec.
Once connected, Windows 10 will attempt to install its included drivers
or download them(in the background) or provide the option to use Windows
Update to check for drivers.
- in almost all cases, the first will occur.
Then, if not functional, you can look for drivers on the manufacturing site.
i.e. based on the product information, their is little reason to believe
the device would not work.
Thanks to all. I have downloaded drivers from Intel.
I will measure inside her laptop and see
Andy Burns
2024-03-05 06:54:55 UTC
Post by ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
Post by Dan
I use a Asus RTAX 88U pro on a community fibre 1 gig down / up.
6Ghz will not be used. But the laptop has a n spec and this card an ac
spec.
Once connected, Windows 10 will attempt to install its included drivers
or download them(in the background) or provide the option to use Windows
Update to check for drivers.
 - in almost all cases, the first will occur.
Then, if not functional, you can look for drivers on the manufacturing site.
i.e. based on the product information, their is little reason to believe
the device would not work.
Does the laptop have an ethernet port, which could temporarily be used
to allow it to download whatever drivers it wants? If not then download
the d
Theo
2024-03-05 10:36:05 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Does the laptop have an ethernet port, which could temporarily be used
to allow it to download whatever drivers it wants? If not then download
the drivers by hand before installation ...
If it doesn't have ethernet, a USB ethernet dongle or a USB wifi adapter is
a handy thing to have...

Theo
Dan
2024-03-05 19:14:38 UTC
On 05 Mar 2024 10:36:05 +0000 (GMT), Theo
Post by Theo
Post by Andy Burns
Does the laptop have an ethernet port, which could temporarily be used
to allow it to download whatever drivers it wants? If not then download
the drivers by hand before installation ...
If it doesn't have ethernet, a USB ethernet dongle or a USB wifi adapter is
a handy thing to have...
Theo
It does have an Ethernet port. But I have downloaded the latest
drivers from Intel:

WiFi 6E MPE-AXE3000H AX210HMW

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/204836/intel-wifi-6e-ax210-gig/downloads.html

Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters
2/27/2024

Windows 10, 32-bit*,Windows 10, 64-bit*,Windows 11*

11* WiFi package drivers 23.30.0 for the Intel® Wi-Fi 7/Wi-Fi 6E/Wi-Fi
6 and Intel® 9000 series Wireless Adapters. View download options.

Version: 23.30.0

OS:
Windows 10, 32-bit*Windows 10, 64-bit*Windows 11*

Type: Drivers

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

Introduction

This download record installs the Windows® 10 and Windows 11* WiFi
package drivers 23.30.0 for the Intel® Wi-Fi 7/Wi-Fi 6E/Wi-Fi 6 and
Intel® 9000 series Wireless Adapters.
Available Downloads

Windows 11*, Windows 10, 64-bit*
Size: 39.8 MB
SHA1: 337ECA3D53E5831303596CEF1E0F3DDC255286B9

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/816790/WiFi-23.30.0-Driver64-Win10-Win11.exe