Gigabit running at 100 Mb/sec?
Add Reply
David
2024-04-18 16:20:53 UTC
Just checking my local network prior to configuring my new laptop.
This PC is showing a Gigabit network adapter running at 100 Mb/sec.
The network is Gigiabit, through the switch to the router.

Any first things to check?

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
Andy Burns
Does your cable have all four pairs of wires?
David
2024-04-18 19:27:05 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Just checking my local network prior to configuring my new laptop. This
PC is showing a Gigabit network adapter running at 100 Mb/sec.
The network is Gigiabit, through the switch to the router.
Any first things to check?
Does your cable have all four pairs of wires?
Whole house is wired Cat5E (IIRC) and has a Gigabit switch under the
stairs.
First time I've noticed this.
Always seen 1 Gigabit on PCs with that capability.

I feel some cable checking coming on, but this is all very strange.

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
David
2024-04-18 19:33:49 UTC
Post by David
Post by Andy Burns
Post by David
Just checking my local network prior to configuring my new laptop.
This PC is showing a Gigabit network adapter running at 100 Mb/sec.
The network is Gigiabit, through the switch to the router.
Any first things to check?
Does your cable have all four pairs of wires?
Whole house is wired Cat5E (IIRC) and has a Gigabit switch under the
stairs.
First time I've noticed this.
Always seen 1 Gigabit on PCs with that capability.
I feel some cable checking coming on, but this is all very strange.
Further note.

I've just connected my Dell USB C hub to the new Dell laptop and connected
that into a wall socket.
That is showing 1Gb/sec.

So the underlying network is fine.

Wonder if I've been drive by drivered by W10.
This is ringing faint bells.

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
Andy Burns
2024-04-18 19:40:36 UTC
Post by David
Wonder if I've been drive by drivered by W10.
This is ringing faint bells.
If Windows is showing it as a 1Gbe NIC, it ought to be able to run it at
1Gbe speed ...
David
2024-04-18 19:51:32 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by David
Wonder if I've been drive by drivered by W10.
This is ringing faint bells.
If Windows is showing it as a 1Gbe NIC, it ought to be able to run it at
1Gbe speed ...
I'm chasing down a known Intel problem with drivers and auto negotiation
which can result in 100 Mb speeds on a Gigabit Intel chip.

We shall see.

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
David
2024-04-18 20:03:01 UTC
Post by David
Post by Andy Burns
Post by David
Wonder if I've been drive by drivered by W10.
This is ringing faint bells.
If Windows is showing it as a 1Gbe NIC, it ought to be able to run it
at 1Gbe speed ...
I'm chasing down a known Intel problem with drivers and auto negotiation
which can result in 100 Mb speeds on a Gigabit Intel chip.
We shall see.
Not quite what the article led me to believe.
However.
Advanced settings set to AutoNegotiate for speed and half/full duplex.
Set to 1 Gig full duplex and it seems to be working fine now.

All very strange.

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
Chris
2024-04-18 18:57:40 UTC
Post by David
Just checking my local network prior to configuring my new laptop.
This PC is showing a Gigabit network adapter running at 100 Mb/sec.
The network is Gigiabit, through the switch to the router.
Interestingly someone on a mac ng recently had the same problem. Turned out
the adapter was faulty/fake.