Screw Size for NVMe
Jeff Gaines
2024-02-27 10:27:40 UTC
In my computer shuffling I have discovered the NVMe on the Z170K is loose
and slips out of the screw. It needs a very fine thread but a big head (or
washer I suppose).

Can anybody confirm the thread size please? It is smaller than the very
fine threaded SSD screws (are they screws or bolts nowadays?).

As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I was standing in the park wondering why Frisbees got bigger as they get
Then it hit me.
Andy Burns
Best I can tell under a loupe, it's M2 with a 0.5mm pitch.
Jeff Gaines
2024-02-27 11:18:42 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
In my computer shuffling I have discovered the NVMe on the Z170K is loose
and slips out of the screw. It needs a very fine thread but a big head
(or washer I suppose).
Can anybody confirm the thread size please? It is smaller than the very
fine threaded SSD screws (are they screws or bolts nowadays?).
As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?
Best I can tell under a loupe, it's M2 with a 0.5mm pitch.
Thanks Andy. I have size 12 feet and hands to match so this size is really
bogging awkward for me :-)
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You know it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold.
Abandoned Trolley
2024-02-27 14:47:52 UTC
Post by Jeff Gaines
As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?
I wouldnt count on it - the screws which hold "normal" drives in place
are a UNC thread I believe.

And the jackscrews on D type connectors are definitely 4-40 UNC
Andy Burns
2024-02-27 15:37:15 UTC
one of my NVMe enclosures uses little rubber "pegs" rather than screws.
Jeff Gaines
2024-02-27 15:47:05 UTC
Post by Jeff Gaines
As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?
I wouldnt count on it - the screws which hold "normal" drives in place are
a UNC thread I believe.
And the jackscrews on D type connectors are definitely 4-40 UNC
So far I have found coarse screws which are for PSU, cases and 3.5" HD.
6-32 UNC
Fine threaded for SSDs. M3
These awkward little sods for NVMe which I wouldn't be surprised are
different sizes depending on the day of the week! Why didn't they stick to
the fine screws (M3) I really don't know.

Anyway I have ordered some and will have to see if they fit.

I also have a small piece of an M3 stuck in a drive cage with a small
sharp point bit (0.5 mm but enough to cut you) on the outside and perhaps
2 mm on the inside. Still racking brain on that one, much to small to
centre punch and the cage contains electronics so grinding may not be a
good idea.
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.
It was a right bugger to get him back when he ran off.
Abandoned Trolley
2024-02-27 16:19:08 UTC
Post by Jeff Gaines
I also have a small piece of an M3 stuck in a drive cage with a small
sharp point bit (0.5 mm but enough to cut you) on the outside and
perhaps 2 mm on the inside. Still racking brain on that one, much to
small to centre punch and the cage contains electronics so grinding may
not be a good idea.
I bought a pack of these things on eBay a few months back, and what you
are suggesting is correct - its a small (M2 ?) screw with a big head,
and there are no washers involved.

There were some of the standoff (screw / nut) things in the pack with it.
Jeff Gaines
2024-02-27 16:47:51 UTC
Post by Abandoned Trolley
Post by Jeff Gaines
I also have a small piece of an M3 stuck in a drive cage with a small
sharp point bit (0.5 mm but enough to cut you) on the outside and perhaps
2 mm on the inside. Still racking brain on that one, much to small to
centre punch and the cage contains electronics so grinding may not be a
good idea.
I bought a pack of these things on eBay a few months back, and what you
are suggesting is correct - its a small (M2 ?) screw with a big head, and
there are no washers involved.
There were some of the standoff (screw / nut) things in the pack with it.
That's encouraging, thanks :-)
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
How does a gender neutral bog differ from a unisex bog ?
It has a non-binary number on the door.
Andy Burns
2024-02-27 17:17:55 UTC
Post by Jeff Gaines
That's encouraging, thanks :-)
crucial seem to say that M2x0.4 rather than 0.5 that I gauged under my
loupe is a common size

<https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/about-m2-ssd-screws>
Jeff Gaines
2024-02-27 18:07:57 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Jeff Gaines
That's encouraging, thanks :-)
crucial seem to say that M2x0.4 rather than 0.5 that I gauged under my
loupe is a common size
<https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/about-m2-ssd-screws>
"M2 screw sizes are not standardised" - why not, all the other screw sizes
on cases and drives are. I must admit I didn't fit an NVMe straight away
when I got the Z170K but I sure as heck can't find a screw or stand off now!
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends
Jeff Gaines
2024-02-28 15:18:59 UTC
Post by Jeff Gaines
In my computer shuffling I have discovered the NVMe on the Z170K is loose
and slips out of the screw. It needs a very fine thread but a big head (or
washer I suppose).
Can anybody confirm the thread size please? It is smaller than the very
fine threaded SSD screws (are they screws or bolts nowadays?).
As far as I can see it is M2 or is that too logical?
My kits arrived from Amazon. Nice assortment of stand-offs and screws (why
aren't they called bolts?) and the first one of the packages fitted
perfectly.

Thanks for all the input :-)
Abandoned Trolley
2024-02-28 17:48:33 UTC
(why aren't they called bolts?)
They are called screws (or setscrews) because there is a thread for the
entire length of the shank - regardless of the type of head.

A bolt only needs to have enough thread on it to hold a nut at the end
(also regardless of head style)

Also remember ...

Wood "screws" have no part in this discussion, and ...

The bolt on my front door has no thread at all
Jeff Gaines
2024-02-28 18:18:43 UTC
Post by Abandoned Trolley
(why aren't they called bolts?)
They are called screws (or setscrews) because there is a thread for the
entire length of the shank - regardless of the type of head.
A bolt only needs to have enough thread on it to hold a nut at the end
(also regardless of head style)
Also remember ...
Wood "screws" have no part in this discussion, and ...
The bolt on my front door has no thread at all
Thank you, brilliant explanation :-)
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The fact that there's a highway to hell and only a stairway to heaven says