Android Question
Add Reply
Jeff Gaines
2024-04-29 16:18:11 UTC
Sorry to ask here, struggling to find anywhere more appropriate.

Took delivery of a new Android 13 phablet this afternoon. It keeps
deciding for me what apps should go in the tray at the bottom of the
screen which is annoying, I know what I want there. All the online
suggestions I have found so far are way our of date, nothing comes up as
they say it will.

Anybody know how to turn it off? It's plain Android 13, I could put the
Nova launcher on it perhaps?
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Have you ever noticed that all the instruments searching for intelligent
life are pointing away from Earth?
Sump
2024-04-30 07:25:58 UTC
Post by Jeff Gaines
Sorry to ask here, struggling to find anywhere more appropriate.
Took delivery of a new Android 13 phablet this afternoon. It keeps
deciding for me what apps should go in the tray at the bottom of the
screen which is annoying, I know what I want there. All the online
suggestions I have found so far are way our of date, nothing comes up as
they say it will.
Anybody know how to turn it off? It's plain Android 13, I could put the
Nova launcher on it perhaps?
On my Android 14 phone.
1) Press and hold on a free part of the desktop/background
2) You should get "personalise ..to... Hiome settings"
3) Go into Home Settings
4) "Home Screen Style"
5) Hopefully it is set as "App Tray"
6) Click on the nearby gearwheel.
7) "Suggestions on Home screen" swipe to "off"

Then back out to the main screen, and then customise but holding the icon to remove and drag to the top to "remove" as per usual.

On older Androids you could move them around the the grid size of the screen, but later versions will equally space the Icons across the app tray.
Sump
Jeff Gaines
2024-04-30 12:10:49 UTC
Post by Sump
Post by Jeff Gaines
[...]
Thanks for that :-)

Unfortunately I get the option "Home settings" but not then the rest of
the options you mention. This is a Doogee running Android 13 vanilla.

For now I have put Nova on which is more flexible. I tried to log on to
Android Central but apparently I have been banned for posting spam and
need to contact admin. I have no idea what I am supposed to have posted
and there seems no way to contact admin. I'm banned from asking questions
on Stack Overflow as well, they seem only to want people who answer
questions. I must be a right hooligan....
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
(Bill Gates, 1981)
Sump
2024-04-30 13:51:03 UTC
Post by Jeff Gaines
Post by Sump
Post by Jeff Gaines
[...]
Doogee must have tweaked it. .

As my Moto on Android 11 and the other on 14 operate in similar ways...

But a moto on Android 9 has "App Suggestions"

Oh well!
--
Sump