PSU: 5v rail fluctuation
Paul
2008-02-26 08:05:37 UTC
Hi
As header, I recently checked PC Wizard and noticed the 5volt rail
fluctuating between 2.20 volts and 5.20 volts over a space of a few
seconds. Is this something to worry about? It seems unusual. PSU is a
500 watt Tagan.
Gigabyte mother board K8 Triton, AMD Sempron 1.8, Ati radeon 9250, 2
HDs, 1 DVD RW.
Thanks for any feed back.
Paul.
Paul reply-to is valid
Grooove
2008-02-26 09:27:59 UTC
Post by Paul
As header, I recently checked PC Wizard and noticed the 5volt rail
fluctuating between 2.20 volts and 5.20 volts over a space of a few
seconds. Is this something to worry about? It seems unusual. PSU is a
500 watt Tagan.
Hi Paul.

It would certainly worry me. Could be early warning of the PSU going bad.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David ~ Lincoln UK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul
2008-02-26 13:34:07 UTC
Post by Grooove
Post by Paul
As header, I recently checked PC Wizard and noticed the 5volt rail
fluctuating between 2.20 volts and 5.20 volts over a space of a few
seconds. Is this something to worry about? It seems unusual. PSU is a
500 watt Tagan.
Hi Paul.
It would certainly worry me. Could be early warning of the PSU going bad.
Yep, as I thought. I have emailed Tagan support to get their advice.
Thanks,
Paul.
Paul reply-to is valid
Les Matthew
2008-02-26 15:40:59 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Grooove
Post by Paul
As header, I recently checked PC Wizard and noticed the 5volt rail
fluctuating between 2.20 volts and 5.20 volts over a space of a few
seconds. Is this something to worry about? It seems unusual. PSU is a
500 watt Tagan.
Hi Paul.
It would certainly worry me. Could be early warning of the PSU going bad.
Yep, as I thought. I have emailed Tagan support to get their advice.
Thanks,
Paul.
I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 motherboard that gives me this problem
too. It's currently showing the +5v as 2.12, but I have checked all
voltages out of the PSU and on the motherboard with a DVM and they are
aok. In my case I suspect the onboard SuperIO Chip IT8712F is the
culpret as the board otherwise works with no problems.

It has an Opteron 165 overclocked to 2.4GHz running ***@home almost
exclusively 24/7 for the last six month or more without any problems.

So it may not be your PSU.

Just a thought.

les...
Paul
2008-02-26 16:07:03 UTC
Post by Les Matthew
Post by Paul
Post by Grooove
Post by Paul
[...]
Thanks Les,
A dodgy chip did also cross my mind. If anything the PSU is overpowered
for the specs of the system. I will check the voltages manually with a
DVM too.
Paul.
Paul reply-to is valid
Grooove
2008-02-26 16:26:59 UTC
Post by Paul
A dodgy chip did also cross my mind. If anything the PSU is
overpowered for the specs of the system. I will check the voltages
manually with a DVM too.
He makes a valid point. If your voltage really was oscillating that much
I wonder if your system would actually run.
DVM is probably a sensible next option.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David ~ Lincoln UK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul
2008-02-26 19:35:55 UTC
Post by Les Matthew
Post by Paul
Post by Grooove
Post by Paul
[...]
Just checked the 5volt out of the molex connector and it shows a steady
5.2,
so that's reassuring.
Where on the motherboard could I check?
Thanks,